Thursday, October 16, 2014

Experience to Innocence: Lead me in the way I should go...

Bono has hinted that the second CD in the two (or three?) series, "Songs of Innocence" and "Songs of Experience," may well contain some sections or songs where his older self talks to his younger self (and/or vice versa).  This new interview confirms that direction, and includes an intriguing Scriptural reference that he has been trying to weave into a song for ten years. Very promising:

It's more about the present tense. The singer - the protagonist in it - is much closer to where we're at in our life and the younger character from Songs Of Innocence, they sometimes meet and one has a take on the other that is often a little aggressive. I often think about that - what would the younger me think of me now. Not much. In one song, there's another song called "The Morning After Innocence" where the older me goes and asks the younger me for help. It's a very tough one that goes:
Is that your fountain pen, navy with a nib of gold?
 You never could write so well or do anything you were told on 10 Cedarwood Road
 I'm your older self, the song of experience,
 I've come to ask for some help from your song of innocence.
 Lead me in the way I should go.
 I'm running out of chances to blow,
 that's what you told me and you should know.
 Lead me in the way I should be.
 Unravel the mystery of the heart and its defense,
 the morning after innocence.
Bono went on to describe the upcoming tour in more detail where there's a conversation between innocence and experience, describing it like The Who's Quadrophenia.   Link
---------------
More conversation on this here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!