Sunday, November 24, 2013

Colbert's liturgical (song and) dance: "King of Glory"



The King of glory comes,
the nation rejoices.
Open the gates before him,
lift up your voices.
 Who is the King of glory;
how shall we call him?
He is Emmanuel,
the promised of ages.


.He gave his life for us,
the pledge of salvation,
He took upon himself
the sins of the nation.


The King of glory comes,
the nation rejoices.
Open the gates before him,
lift up your voices.
 Who is the King of glory;
how shall we call him?
He is Emmanuel,
the promised of ages.

. He conquered sin and death;
he truly has risen,
And he will share with us
his heavenly vision.
--------------

Related:
See this link on the Catholic  Colbert blog for several faith-related interviews:
 Key Interviews

related:
I love my Church, and I’m a Catholic who was raised by intellectuals, who were very devout. I was raised to believe that you could question the Church and still be a Catholic. What is worthy of satire is the misuse of religion for destructive or political gains. That’s totally different from the Word, the blood, the body and the Christ. His kingdom is not of this earth.

In the same interview, talking about interviewing someone he regarded as hypocritical, he said, “I would have liked to satirically rough him up, because I thought he was bullying people with his religion. But I promised. And that’s the kind of work we do on The Daily Show: You have to maintain a level of humanity.”


..
We’re, you know, very devout and, you know, I still go to church and, you know, my children are being raised in the Catholic Church. And I was actually my daughters’ catechist last year for First Communion, which was a great opportunity to speak very simply and plainly about your faith without anybody saying, `Yeah, but do you believe that stuff?’ which happens a lot in what I do.
….
You know, that’s the hallmark of an American Catholic, is the individuation of America and the homogenation of the church; homogenation in terms of dogma. I love my church and I don’t think that it actually makes zombies or unquestioning people. I think it’s actually a church that values intellectualism, but certainly, it can become very dogmatically rigid.

Somebody once asked me, `How do you be a father’–’cause I’m a father of three children–`and be anti-authoritarian?’ And I said, `Well, that’s not nearly as hard as being anti-authoritarian and being a Roman Catholic,’ you know? That’s really patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time. I don’t know. You know, I don’t believe that I can’t disagree with my church and I’ll leave it at that

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!