Thursday, October 31, 2013

" I love seeing you non-believers. It's really a relief.."

Check this out, from the original Matrix script. As you can see by my highlights in red, some intriguing lines about believers/non-believers were eventually cut. Also, it is so key to the movie that The Oracle never says Neo is not The One (she knows he is, so in the final film when he  asks, she doesn't deny it).  Here she does:

                             NEO
   Hello?

     ORACLE (WOMAN)
   I know.  You're Neo.  Be right
   with you.

     NEO
   You're the Oracle?

     ORACLE
   Bingo.  I got to say I love seeing
   you non-believers.  It's really a
   relief.  All that pomp and
   circumstances just plain tucker me
   out.  Almost done.  Smell good,
   don't they?

     NEO
   Yeah.

     ORACLE
   I'd ask you to sit down, but
   you're not going to anyway.  And
   don't worry about the vase.

     NEO
   What vase?

 He turns to look around and his elbow knocks a VASE from
 the table.  It BREAKS against the linoleum floor.

     ORACLE
   The vase.

     NEO
   Shit, I'm sorry.

 She pulls out a tray of chocolate chip cookies and turns.
 She is an older woman, wearing big oven mitts,
 comfortable slacks and a print blouse.  She looks like
 someone's grandma.

     ORACLE
   I said don't worry about it.  I'll
   get one of my kids to fix it.

     NEO
   How did you know...?

 She sets the cookie tray on a wooden hot-pad.

     ORACLE
   What's really going to bake your
   noodle later on is, would you
   still have broken it if I hadn't
   said anything.

 Smiling, she lights a cigarette.

     ORACLE
   You're cuter than I thought.  I
   see why she likes you.

     NEO
   Who?

     ORACLE
   Not too bright, though.

 She winks.

     ORACLE
   You know why Morpheus brought you
   to see me?

     NEO
   I think so.

     ORACLE
   So? What do you think?  You think
   you're the one?

     NEO
   I don't know.

 She gestures to a wooden plaque, the kind every grandma
 has, except that the words are in Latin.

     ORACLE
   You know what that means?  It's
   Latin.  Means, 'Know thyself.'

 She puts her cigarette down.

     ORACLE
   Well, let's have a look at you.

 She widens his eyes, checks his ears, then feels the
 glands in his neck.

     ORACLE
   Open your mouth.  Say, 'ahhh.'

 She nods then looks at his palms.

     ORACLE
   Hmmm.  You sure got the gift, but
   it's tricky.  I'd say the bad news
   is, you're not the one.  Still got
   a lot to learn.  Maybe next life.

     NEO
   What's the good news?

     ORACLE
   Same as the bad news, you're not
   the one.

     NEO
   Is that it, then?

     ORACLE
   No.  Here.

 She picks up the tray of cooling cookies.

     ORACLE
   You better take a cookie.  Got a
   big day ahead of you.

 He eyes her, then takes a cookie.

     ORACLE
   Make a believer out of you yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for engaging the conversation!